My Blog List

Tuesday 31 July 2012

IS MUSIC STILL THE FOOD OF LOVE?


IS MUSIC STILL THE FOOD OF LOVE?
What are artistes singing nowadays? We don’t listen to the words anymore because they are meaningless. Songs sell because of the beats; that is why producers are getting more popular than the musicians and are also mentioned in songs.

I used to be a fan of D’Banj but I have always categorized some of his songs as FANTASTIC CRAP. If you think good PACKAGING doesn’t sell a product then you have not heard of D’ Banj. I say FANTASTIC because of the melodious beat; makes me tap my feet and move my body, very danceable and good for exercise; it is dancehall. CRAP because the lyrics don’t make any sense. They all sing the same thing: sex, money, girls, alcohol etc… We have so many up and coming artistes in Nigeria but they are majorly crap.

There is a new artiste on the block, May D, he sang “Soundtrack”; if I say I don’t like the song then am in denial. It is also in my FANTASTIC CRAP category. Was glad it was banned, can’t imagine kids singing the song in public. Though DJs will play the song at kids’ parties, and sharp kids end up singing it.

There can’t be song books because there is no reasonable lyric to publish. I doubt if these musicians even write their songs in the first place or they just freestyle on tape or any recording device, if it sounds good, they edit to suit the market. “If you father is a rich man”, how does it improve our economy or add value to our lives?

I was with some friends some weeks back and we were trying to figure out the lyrics to Rayce’s “ROLL” and we all couldn’t after repeating the song a couple of times. They come up with unique yet undefined slangs in their songs. If they give meanings to their slangs and it will be heard more often; if it sounds pleasant though.

Artistes/musicians/singers don’t know what to call you guys; that a song is dancehall or rhythm and blues doesn’t mean it has to be CRAP. Most of you mention the Legend, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, as your mentor but just a very few of you emulate him lyrics wise though. Am so glad not all Nigerian musicians sing Fantastic Crap. Thank goodness for the likes of Asa, Tuface, Sound Sultan, and a very few others.


No comments:

Post a Comment